What is Solution Focused Hypnotherapy (SFH)?
- Hypnotherapy is a safe, credible and scientifically-researched form of modern psychotherapy. SFH is a very effective approach that uses a combination of positive psychotherapy (a type of talking therapy that focuses on moving forward) and relaxing hypnosis (a very natural state of relaxation and focused attention that we all often enter into many times a day).
- SFH is probably not what you think it is! It doesn’t make you lose control and it doesn’t make you cluck like a chicken. The sessions help you to think about how you want things to be rather than on how you don’t want things to be and can help you to regain control of your life and empower you to use your mind in a fundamentally different way. This can help people begin to move forward with their lives at a pace that’s right for them.
What is the Initial Consultation?
- The Initial Consultation (IC) usually lasts around 40-60 minutes and is free of charge. It does not involve hypnosis and is a no obligation consultation designed to explain how SF Hypnotherapy can work and allows me to gain some background information from you.
- During the consultation you will have the opportunity to describe what you would like to achieve by coming to the sessions and what sort of help you are looking for
- All information is treated confidentially and stored in line with GDPR guidelines and in line with the Code of Conduct set out in the Association for Solution Focused Hypnotherapy.
- You also get a free download track to take away with you to listen to in-between sessions which is a very important part of the process.
- I also explain the workings of the brain and assess whether hypnotherapy can help you
- We agree an approximate number of sessions
What will happen in a typical session?
- A typical session lasts 50 minutes and begins with talking about how things have been since the last session. During the positive psychotherapy element of the session we highlight things that have gone well and review how the mind works and functions.
- Then I ask you some Solution Focused therapy questions designed to encourage a positive response.
- The sessions finish with relaxing hypnosis/trance – guided relaxation on the couch tailored to your specific needs. For example, if your goal is to be more assertive I can tailor the guided relaxation to this goal. The relaxing trance part of the session consolidates the psychotherapeutic work
Will I lose control?
- You will remain in control the whole time. Hypnotherapy should not be confused with stage hypnosis which is often used in the world of entertainment. SFH uses ‘Trance’ which is a very natural state, a bit like daydreaming. During the initial consultation I explain what trance is – something similar to the relaxed state that we tend to go into many times a day such as when you are engrossed in a film or reading a book. When you are in this relaxed state of focused attention we can gain access to the subconscious mind which is highly susceptible to positive suggestion and possesses the creative ability to come up with new solutions and ideas.
How many sessions will I need?
- The number of sessions depends very much on what you hope to achieve and how quickly you make the changes happen. Everyone is different. For fears and phobias only 4 sessions tend to be required but for feelings of anxiety and stress I would often recommend 6 – 12 sessions. We discuss this during the Initial Consultation.